Men’s Tennis Victory Bandwagon Rolls On
NORMAL, Ill. – The DePaul Victory Bandwagon made its latest stop in central Illinois on Friday night.
And although coach Matt Brothers’ band split their singles matches with the Redbirds, claiming two of three doubles matches was the difference in a 4-3 decision at the Bloomington Tennis Center.
That gave the Blue Demons their seventh win in the last nine matches and improved their record in the dual season to 9-3.
The doubles teams of Alex Galoustian and Boris Spanjaard plus Tripp Tuff and Conor O’Meara secured the all-important doubles point.
The Tuff/O’Meara combo is now 6-0 in the dual-match season and 9-0 overall.
Singles wins by Wassenaar and Spanjaard had given DePaul a 3-2 lead and Fran Tonejc clinched it with a 6-3, 6-4 decision over ISU’s Egehan Sertkaya.
Wassenaar improved his dual record to 8-1 and the freshman is 10-5 overall.
Brothers and his team return to the Bloomington Tennis Center at 11 a.m. Saturday for a match against Creighton.
DePaul 4, Illinois State 3
1. Igor Kolaric (ISU) def. Alex Galoustian (DPU) 4-6, 6-2, 10‐8
2. Christoffer Greve (ISU) def. Christopher Casati (DPU), 7‐6, 6‐3
3. Boris Spanjaard (DPU) def. Andreas Boers (ISU) 7‐5, 6‐0
4. Fran Tonejc (DPU) def. Egehan Sertkaya, 6‐3, 6‐4
5. Luuk Wassenaar (DPU) def. Pol Rius Botifoll (ISU) 6-‐3, 6‐0
6. Manuel Bernhard (ISU) def. Tripp Tuff (DPU) 6‐2, 6-4
1. Greve/Kolaric (ISU) def. Casati/Wassenaar (DPU) 6-3
2. Galoustian/Spanjaard (DPU) def. Boers/Botifoll (ISU) 6-3
3. Tuff/O’Meara (DPU) def. Bernhard/Petersen (ISU) 6-3